Let’s Talk Science Challenge
Ages: 5-8 Years
Duration: 2 Hours/Week (8-Weeks Program)
The Let’s Talk Science Challenge is a team-based, competitive enrichment event for Grades 6-8 students that takes place each spring at over 20 Let’s Talk Science Outreach locations across Canada.
The Science Challenge positively impacts Grade 6-8 students because it:
- gives a realistic view of the opportunities for choosing STEM-related studies in high school to enhance their post-secondary program and career options
- enriches curriculum in eight subject areas (Biology, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Engineering & Technology, Math, Physics and Space Sciences)
- puts STEM on the menu of extracurricular activities
- emphasizes team collaboration, cooperative learning and problem-solving skills
- brings them to a post-secondary campus and provides contact with university and college students and professional scientists – a great opportunity for meeting role models!
- provides an outlet for students who are not being challenged by the curriculum
- encourages students to collaborate and form study groups – a useful skill for future years